jrobb.org

In the past it was a prophecy, but in the future the past has ocurred!

1-Ton-Axle-Rebuild--Front-Dana-60-part-1-hubs

…This is an ongoing work in progress… As I have mentioned previously, I have attained a D60 which I am going to install into my jeep as time and money allow. This post is going to detail the teardown and rebuild procedure to get this junkyard axle back into tip-top shape—to the extent of the upgrades that I plan to do. As such, I will try to make this as picture-heavy as possible :–) This post is somewhat echoed in this thread on JF.

I want to go ahead and preface this with I have never done this before. This is my first dana 60 axle, as well as my first axle that has ever had hubs.

I am mostly going along with Mr.N’s Dana 44 Build up for the steps involved.

Fresh off the trailer:

[caption id=“” align=“alignnone” width=“400” caption=“this sucker is heavy!”][/caption]

First up:

Hub Disassembly

the outer hub has to be removed. I didn’t get a picture of that, but there are 10-12 allen head bolts. On my axle, these came out fairly easily but be aware they can be stripped easily—and that would not be a good time. With the allen screws removed, the outer section should rotate and pop out—I had to tap mine with a screwdriver, but it came right out. Underneath the hub selector, once that unit is taken off this is visible:

[caption id=“” align=“alignnone” width=“281” caption=“under the outer selector”][/caption]

There is a snap ring on the shaft itself (already removed in this picture), and although hard to see because of grease and grime, there is an outer retaining ring. I used snap ring pliers for the snap ring (duh), and a couple of screwdrivers to work the outer retaining ring out of there. Here are the rings:

[caption id=“” align=“alignnone” width=“312” caption=“retaining ring and snap ring”][/caption]

Once those are out, that next piece comes long with a little tugging and side-to-side action. I put a couple of the screws back in to help work it around:

[caption id=“” align=“alignnone” width=“312” caption=“after the rings are out, this slides out with little effort”]after the rings are out[/caption]

There is this gear thing, which LOOKS Like it is built in there, but after hammering itnd a bit it starts to slide out. The spring is behind this piece.

Then there is an axle nut, which I did not have the correct socket for so I opted to use the hit-a-screwdriver-with-a-hammer approach. The screwdriver I’m using for this (and a lot of other things in this process) is great—it’s large-ish, heavy duty, and the tip that used to be a flathead is broken off and has a slight bend at the end. In other words, it is perfect for hammering and prying.

There is then a tabbed washer, which I removed by just pulling on it with a screwdriver from side to side, and then there is another axle nut, and a wheel bearing (leave the bearing race in the hub). The bearing just kind of slid out after the axle nut was off of there.

Here is a picture of all the stuff that has come out, kind of laying there in some sort of order in the way it was removed:

stuff that has been removed [caption id=“” align=“alignnone” width=“233” caption=“this is what the hub is looking like, with all of that removed so far”][/caption]

At this point, the hub and rotor can be slid off of the spindle—however I had an issue. Somewhere along the line, someone had put the wrong type of bolt into the thing that holds the caliper in place on the bottom…and this bolt was rounded off enough that it was not moving. My first solution did not work at all, my weld was not strong enough:

[caption id=“” align=“alignnone” width=“312” caption=“bolt welded to bolt”][/caption]

My second try, worked great! (although was not very pretty):

[caption id=“” align=“alignnone” width=“312” caption=“some hammering, and it came right out this time”][/caption]

with the hub rotor removed, this is what we’ve got:

[caption id=“” align=“alignnone” width=“312” caption=“spindle”][/caption]

[caption id=“” align=“alignnone” width=“312” caption=“inside of the hub after first bearing is pulled, and hub/rotor assembly removed from spindle. second bearing is visible”][/caption]

[caption id=“” align=“alignnone” width=“233” caption=“from the other side. second bearing is visible. the black seal around the edge needs to be removed/replaced before the second bearing can come out edit Delete caption”][/caption]

Next, I’ll need to separate the hub from the rotor so that I can pop out this black seal and remove the bearing. Then after removing the shafts and inspecting carrier (and possibly getting it regeared while the shafts are out) all that is left is to clean out the hub and all of the parts VERY well, inspect and repack the bearings with grease, and re-assemble everything!

Hopefully I can get to all of that soon.

for kicks, here is my workstation:

Posted by: jamba

Category: ##jeep stuff

Tags: #1-ton #d60 #dana-60 #jeep

Published Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 02:59:24 +0000

Original URL | Original guid | PostID= 441

original filename: 148